Tuesday 18 August 2009

Antique commode designs

So I've posted some pics of some modern commode toilet designs on the blog. I'd thought this week, I'd go for the opposite end of the spectrum and post a look at some interesting antique commode toilets. I firmly believe that antique commodes still have their place in the market, although perhaps only appealing to a certain percentage of the market. If you are an avid collector of commode toilets, I recommend going to your local antiques shop or attending an auction house as usually some real gems will turn up.

Although quite rudimentary in design, this commode toilet would have served its purpose very well in Victorian times and earlier dates in history. I found this image on a catalogue auction site in canada, sadly bidding has ended for this item. If i was in canada and had seen this, I might have been tempted to make a bid on it.

Probably my favourite antique commmodes are the French vintage commodes that would have been used during and after the reign of Louis XVII. You can imagine such a commode taking its place in a fabulously elegant chateau:



Although, you can see from the image the paint has been chipped away slightly, it still remains in pretty good condition. These kinds of commodes would really be used for their subtlety and blend in well with the interior decor.

If you have any pictures of great antique commodes, please send them to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic! I have a similar antique commode that I have been thinking about selling. Mine has a lid and the porcelain chamber pot. Contact me at girlsummer@aol.com if you may be interested in buying. I'm in North Carolina.

Comodo Dragon: Mad about Commodes and Commode Chairs Headline Animator

Contributors